DIRECT NOTICE TO EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS ACTING AS AGENTS FOR PARENTS WITH CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 13 WITH RESPECT TO CHILDREN’S USE OF THE AMPLIO PLATFORM.
Under the United States’ Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), online service providers such as Amplio must provide parental notification and obtain verifiable parental consent before collecting personal information from children under the age of 13, except in limited situations (for exceptions to this consent requirement, please see 16 CFR § 312.5(c)).
In order for Amplio to rely on consent obtained from a child’s Educational Institution instead of the parent under COPPA, Amplio must provide the Educational Institution with the same type of direct notice regarding its practices as to the collection, use, or disclosure of personal information from children as it would otherwise be required to provide to the parent, as follows:
As a best practice, Amplio recommends that Educational Institutions make this notice available to parents so that they may review the personal information collected.
We, Amplio Learning Technologies Inc. together with our affiliate Amplio Learning Technologies Ltd. (“Company” “we“, “our” or “us“) provide you with our special education learning platform which offers several different products for enhancing various child disorders and deficits, including in the areas of speech-language and reading (the “Platform” and/or the “Service”).
Parental consent from the parent of the child is required so that we can handle the child’s personal information on the Platform. We will not collect, use, or disclose any personal information from the child if the Educational Institution does not provide parental consent on behalf of the parent, in which case the child will not be able to use the Platform.
Should the Educational Institution consent on behalf of the parent be provided Amplio will collect the following types of information from the child while he/she uses the Platform:
- User id or unique identifiers (such as Clever id etc.);
- Email address;
- First, middle and last name;
- Date of birth;
- Address, including State, city and zip;
- Associated schools and district id;
- Associated grade level and graduation year;
- Status of student eligibility for Individualized Education Plan services;
- Home language and if Hispanic ethnicity;
- Student in-app performance data and usage data;
- Treatment notes and / or summaries by Educators;
- Student generated content including audio recordings, writing, pictures, exercises, probe responses, etc;
- IP addresses for messages and comments for security purposes.
- With our Educators for providing the services and treatments.
- We use third parties’ cloud services, such as The Amazon Cloud Services for the purpose of our cloud-based Platform storage and backup services.
- If we are required to by a judicial, governmental, or regulatory authority.
Upon request from the Educational Institution, Amplio will provide a description of the types of personal information collected; an opportunity to review the child’s personal information and the right to have the information deleted; and the opportunity to prevent further use or online collection of a child’s personal information.
If a child’s personal information is collected without parental consent or collected beyond the scope needed for participation in the Platform, Amplio will delete such information as soon as possible. If you believe that information from a student under the age of 13 has been provided in violation of these terms, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Means for verifiable parental consent.
We use the following procedure to notify you in order to obtain verifiable parental consent:
- We present this direct notice in order for the Educational Institution to seek parental consent.
- We offer the Educational Institution with an example parental consent form, hereunder as Form 1, to suggest it to parents for them to complete and sign. Educational Institution shall retain all consent records relevant to the Platform in order to assist and demonstrate us, by demand, for our compliance with the COPPA responsibility to obtain Verifiable Parental Consent.
Form 1 – Example Consent Form – Parent / Legal Guardian
In order to provide special education learning services, including in the areas of speech-language and reading, eligible students may receive access to and use the Amplio platform. Amplio platform includes materials for therapy sessions, self-practice and more.
Children under the age of 13 are protected by the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), a federal law, which ensures the privacy and safety of their personal information online.
In compliance with COPPA, parents (or legal guardians) of children under 13 years of age must consent to collections, uses and disclosures of the personal information of their children collected by Amplio. We will not grant your child access to the Amplio platform unless you provide us with permission.
Verifiable Parental Consent
In accordance with COPPA rules, please print this form, complete it and sign it. Then scan the completed and signed form and email it to _____________________.
Only parents or legal guardians can submit a COPPA form. Any forms received from an adviser or teacher will not be processed.
□ By checking this box, you agree that you have read and agree to Amplio Terms & Conditions and Privacy Notice (https://go.ampliolearning.com/legal/).
□ By checking this box, you give us your consent to the processing of your child’s personal data according to Amplio Privacy Notice [https://go.ampliolearning.com/legal/].
□ By checking this box, you consent to the disclosure of your child’s personal data to educators (such as SLP, trainer, supervisor) and/or school administrators for the purpose of providing your child with Amplio services.
□ By checking this box, you consent to the collection of your name, contact information and email address so that Amplio’s support team can communicate with you and provide you with support.
*You can withdraw or change your preferences at any time by sending email to ___________.
Student’s (i.e., child) full name: _____________________
Student’s date of birth (Month/Day/Year): _____________________
Parent/guardian full name: _____________________
Parent/guardian email address: _____________________
Parent/guardian signature: _____________________